Fire Safety Tips

Since most accidents are likely to happen around the home, it makes sense to observe some common sense safety procedures that may help to prevent an accident or something even worse.

Here are some great tips you can easily include in your day to day life that may just save your home from burning down and taking the lives of yoru family with it. Notice, we don't take this subject with anything less than complete seriousness!


For fire to occur, three things must be present.

  1. Oxygen:- there is oxygen in the air
  2. Fuel:- paper, clothing, wood, flammable material, gasoline, paints
  3. Heat:- a spark, toaster, fireplace, matches, cigarette or, over loaded electrical socket

Take any of these away, and a fire cannot happen. Safety first is keeping things that are hot (heat) away from things that can burn (fuel)


Smoke detectors are one of the best life saving devices. They are easy to install and are reasonably priced. Does your home have one?

Test your smoke detector weekly and replace batteries as daylight savings rolls around. Remember the life you save could be yours and your family.


Many fires start in the kitchen. You can prevent a kitchen fire by remaining alert to problem items and situations.

Potholders, plastic utensils, and towels should be placed away from the stove. If you have long sleeve clothing, roll sleeves up or change into a tight fitting shirt, safety first, turn off burners before reaching across them.

Extension cords do not make safety sense in the kitchen. Use an automatic timer to remind you to check your cooking or baking.

Keep pot handles turned in from the stove edge to avoid spills. If a grease fire starts, use only a dry chemical fire extinguisher, or put the lid on the pan. An oven fire can be extinguished by turning off the oven and keeping the oven door closed or by using a dry chemical fire extinguisher.


Take a few minutes with your children go over Fire Safety Tips.

Dial 911 for any emergency

STOP/DROP/AND ROLL, to extinguish cloths that are on fire? STOP-do not run. Running fans the flames. DROP-drop to the ground - ROLL- continue to roll on the ground to smother the flames.

Keep the BBQ grill a safe distance from children and your home.

Do you have emergency telephone numbers posted near a phone?

Have you worked out an escape plan with your family, and practiced it.

Does your babysitter have a list of instruction if there is an emergency?


A small fire can be stopped from getting larger, by the use of a portable fire extinguisher. To use a fire extinguisher:

Pull Safety pin; aim at the base of the fire; squeeze the handle; sweep from side to side. Remember; always back away facing the fire watching to be sure the fire does not reignite.


Carbon Monoxide (CO) is a colorless, odorless, tasteless, non-irritating gas. It is a product of incomplete combustion of fossil fuels.

Common sources of Carbon Monoxide are: house hold furnaces/boilers; gas ovens/ranger; fireplaces; space heaters; automobile exhaust.

Be safe and install a digital readout Carbon Monoxide detector, with a test-reset feature in your home.


Are your electrical cords frayed or worn looking? Do they feel hot when in use? Replace them immediately. When purchasing an iron, curling iron or similar appliances look for one with automatic shut-off. Be sure all similar appliances are unplugged when not in use.

Never overload outlets; protect electric cords from being walked on or crushed; repair or replace.


YOU MAY BE SURPRISED. TAKE A GUESS... Men, women and children are three major causes of fires!

The reason being that most fires do not start themselves. They have to be started by a person... and that usually happens when a person is careless with objects, devices or chemicals that can cause a fire, or they are unaware of the danger they are placing others in by their thoughtless actions.

Be sensible. Be aware. Be safe!


Cigarettes can cause fires and smoking is harmful to your health. Remind those that do smoke to use an ashtray; NEVER smoke in bed or while under the influence of alcohol or medication; never leave a lit cigarette unattended; keep lighters and matches out of the reach of children.

Be absolutely sure ashes are COLD before dumping them into a trashcan.